Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas countdown....

Only three more shopping days till Christmas…are you done???

Well, I am sorry to say that for me the answer’s “No”. I have been successful in most items, including the boys buying for the boys and other family members. But, as far as my #2 sweetness (Bryce) we are still looking for the right gift.

My husband has been working diligently at my requested gift this year…a new pantry. Given the current expenses associated with an International adoption, I have asked for the gift that keeps on giving…and nothing keeps giving more for me than an addition/upgrade to my home.

We have a coat closet off our dining room that is really serving no purpose other than wasted space…so I have asked John to turn it into a pantry for (thanks to many good eaters and Sam’s Club – LOVE my Sam’s Club!) the gob’s of groceries that need to be stored. As it is we have two Gorilla storage shelves full of food out in our garage. Being a neat freak, I am happy to have the larger, less used items out of the kitchen cabinets where they take up precious storage space. (Ya know – Wok, bread maker, pressure cooker, Seal-a-Meal, food processor, etc.)

The most expensive part of this closet transformation is the special ordered pantry door the actually reads “Pantry” in etched glass. My brother owns a door and window store, so I was fortunate to have it ordered at a very good price. The good ones aren’t cheap! This item John was priming last night. His goal is to have this project finished by Christmas. Carrington said “You are not suppose to see your gifts until Christmas morning, mom!” John explained that it is not like he can put it under the tree, now can he? Too funny!

Another interesting event is Carrington and his gift shopping. That child had a list of people a foot long. It included such gifts as Xbox games, Super big Nerf guns, etc…We needed to have a eye opening talk about spending someone else’s money (like MINE). All was well when he thought it was coming out of my pockets, but when I suggested he buy the times for his 29 friends he had listed…that was another story. With this new found information that mom was NOT going to finance his gift giving adventures he cut WAAAY back on his list and shopped a little more frugal. All in all, he did very well.

Carrington was showered with gifts when he first visited us, then was showered again last year when he came home. He just thinks this is the way it should be with everyone. Money, of course, does not grow on trees. A child who grew up with basically nothing, and came to lot’s of everything, has no former teaching in the ways of income and money. So, to improvise, Carrington has decided to make very large amounts of Borsch to give to those he cares about…and I will be more than happy to help. We may even bake some yummy cookies too…

Three more days till Christmas…are you ready????

No comments: