Thursday, June 19, 2008

The return to our little 'Rose'

How on earth will I ever be able to write the words that will describe the day we had with our return visit with our daughter? I just don’t believe it is possible to give this day any justice at all in writing...

As the afternoon approached, I was excited to see Rose, but a bit apprehensive if she would even remember who we were, and definitely unsure of what to expect when we arrived.

We were picked up today at 3 pm by Vlad and driven to the orphanage. As we drove up to the gait we saw a little girl in a pink shirt and skirt playing with a toy shovel. I didn’t think it was Rose until we walked up closer to the gate. The little girl turned around, saw John, and ran to him with open arms. This little girl threw herself to her daddy and hugged as tight as she could. Tears instantly sprung into my eyes. She remembered us!

And at that moment it happened…I fell totally in love!

Since Rose seemed to be totally Daddy’s girl at the moment, I was more than happy to wait my turn. We walked over to the play area and another little girl smiled at me and took my hand. I signaled to one of the caregivers if that was alright and she shook her head yes with a smile. So, while John was walking with our little girl hanging on tight to his neck, I smiled and took pictures of the other children that were playing– showing them in the camera screen. They all laughed and loved it. They would point and speak excitedly in Russian. There are many very cute little Munchkins here…I hope they all find homes soon.

The care givers soon called the kiddo’s back and John and I walked with Rose. One of several observations today were she does not like to share. Her toys or her daddy! She promptly removed another child’s hand from the side of the slide when she was playing. The other child put it back on again and she was gonna whallop that kid! I quietly said “Niet!” and she put her hand down instantly. (The care giver smiled and nodded her head ‘yes’, so I think I passed Mommy 101 at that moment)

She also remembered that there were things in my black bag so she looked at us and pointed into it…basically asking if she could look inside. She sought out the Cheerios and Pediasure…along with the cup she drank it out of. I poured some inside and she started drinking out of right away, and refused to put it down. She is very smart! She tried to unscrew the cup lid and pour some in herself. Good thing it was empty…

I gave her a doll baby and she immediately started hugging and loving on it. Not wanting to put it down either. I for see a future full of doll babies…

She loved it when daddy put her up on his shoulders for a ride. She repeated after John all the names of characters painted in the side of the play area, and has the sweetest little voice. I just loved listening to her talk. I got it all on video! The only thing she said last trip was “A deit” which was ‘Go Away” when the little girl from the other family who had tried to play with Roses toys.

Rose chases away the pigeons and would go “Uh ooh” when what appeared to be the orphanage mascot dog barked. This little girl is no longer shy and is very open to staying held in our arms. It is abundantly clear to us that God has given us the child we are suppose to love and raise. She would not let us out of her sight! If one of us walked away, she would come after us with arms wide open and hug so tightly we would just giggle. I have read and studied about attachment issues, but at present I have no fear that Rose will be okay in that area.

Vlad stated that the caregivers have been showing her the picture book often so I really believe that has made the difference. It was a surreal moment when one of the caregivers was pointing to John and I and saying ‘Momma/Pappa’ to the other children…*Sigh*

All to soon we had to leave as it was approaching 6 pm and getting chilly. We walked her to her care giver and when she held out her arms Rose went right into them with a smile back at us. She is a very loved and looked after little girl.

Couple of observations: Most of the little girls have haircuts like little boys. I could only pick them out due to them wearing skirts. Today with this group of kiddo’s Rose appeared to be the only child with longer hair. This group of children were dressed in leggings and decent clothes…no big time bundling with layers and hats, etc…I know this is an issue others are aware of and most of the time they do not like any skin to show in a child regardless of how hot the weather is. This was bout 5 pm and it was about 69 degrees.

We go to court tomorrow in the morning. Later in the afternoon we will take Rose for her passport picture. I can’t wait to see her again…

One last hurdle to handle, then we are in the 10 day waiting period. Yeah! Bring on the LABOR!
Here is a great ‘ultrasound’ picture for you to see….

6 comments:

Carolynn and Steve said...

Dear Kym
Thanks so much for sharing your journey and the return to your Rose. My prayers are with you for smooth court tomorrow, and a great rest of your lives with your DAUGHTER!!
Joy!
Carolynn and Steve

Anonymous said...

OMG What a wonderful sight to see her with her the both of you.

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful Mom!!! Looks too much like she should be blood related :) I love you... from your favorite 1st born :)

Tamara said...

Oh Kym and John - I am SO excited for you and know that court will go perfectly today. Best of luck and see you tonight! Tamara

JB said...

Kym,

It's 10:50 p.m. Thursday 6/19 in California. I just returned from our Bible Study on prayer. One of the prayers offered on your behalf tonight was that God would crush the gates of bureaucracy and allow God's love to shine through you all for the duration of your trip. May God Bless everyone involved in the formal and informal part of the process tomorrow -- or today for you since it's already Friday 6/20 in Moscow and you're getting ready for or on your way to Court.
Jolene

Shane & Marie said...

It sounds like you had an amazing reunion with Rose. That is wonderful that she remembered you both. Good luck in court tomorrow!