Sunday, April 27, 2008

What's in a name?

I’m feeling kinda melancholy, so bare with me…It is 4 am and my back is killing me, so no more sleep. Yep, once again I have managed to over do it outside and I am paying for it dearly. (Yes Deb, I went to the Dr’s last week.) So, I have decided to take advantage of my lack of sleep and write.

BOY what a difference 3 extra hours in your day can mean though...

Sooo, I sit here typing to you as my thoughts wander to: What is in a name?

According to Webster’s Dictionary it is he following:—Synonyms 1. Name, title both refer to the label by which a person is known. Name is the simpler and more general word for appellation: The name is John. A title is an official or honorary term bestowed on a person or the specific designation of a book, article, etc.: He now has the title of Doctor. Treasure Island is the title of a book. 4. repute, character, credit. 5. note, distinction, renown, eminence. 6. personality. 14. nickname, dub, denominate. 16. choose. 17. mention.

John and I spent the better part of early yesterday looking at girl names. We researched Scottish, Celtic and Irish. Why??? Because heritage is very important to us. My husband is of Scottish decent. We also have a lot of Irish mixed in there...”But Kym, your daughter is Russian” you say. Uh Huh. EXACTLY. Now you see the beginning of my dilemma.

Come along and walk with me down the name memory lane…

I always knew from the time I read Winnie the Pooh my first boy would be named Christopher. Strong Irish name. And although he prefers to go by Chris, yet I refuse and call him Christopher – much to his chagrin. Tee hee hee, O how I love the power of the being the Mom.

Bryce was supposed to be Brittany (No longer a name I wish to choose) I just KNEW I was having a girl the second go round. Imagine my surprise when John told me it was a boy. Yep, I was one of those poor moms who did not have a name for her child picked out before giving birth. As we sat in the hospital we looked at baby name books and were not having any luck. I wanted something original. I was watching TV and when I saw the name ‘Brice Beckham’ from the show Mr. Belvedere. We had it! Bryceton was created using the ‘Y’ from my name, and we threw a ‘TON’ on the end to make it flow with Scott which John picked out. And voila! The name Bryceton Scott was created. Now that was some piece of work. I would say his name and people literally would stop and say “That is a neat name!” I must confess I thought so too and still love it to this day.

Aidan’s name came out of nowhere. It literally popped into my head while reading a book. We looked it up and found that it was of old Scott/Irish/Celtic origin. I had never heard of it before. (I often say God whispered it to me. I’ll have to remember to ask Him about that some day) that is why I liked it so much. Now it is a very common for me to hear it now and again.

When we named Carrington we expected it to be a middle name. After all he was 12 and had lived with his name for many years. In the end it was he who chose to change it around and make Oleg his middle name. We presented him with four different names and he chose Carrington. I was so pleased! Why? Because from the time we started trying to have another child biologically I had said if I had a daughter I would name her Karrigan and call her Reagan. Carrington was a version of that name. And at the time I thought “This is it, this is my last chance”. I got to use it! Yeah!


*Funny thought* In my mind I am seeing myself in a room of parents holding small bundles of joy. They have the same confused look as I do. I stand. “Hello” I say. “My name is Kym". "Hello ooo Kym!" - "I name my children. And when naming my children I must confess, I only like unique!” Applauding from agreeing parents fills the room. Total silliness, I know. But you get the point.

We all like unique names that mean SOMETHING to US. Whether is after someone special in our life, or tradition. Imagine if you were to give birth to a child and the nurse handed him/her to you and said “Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. So and So. Here is your new baby. His/Her name is John/Jane Doe”. You’d be like “What? Who said you get to name the child?”

Now, on to why I posted this thought…My daughter has a Russian name. I want her to connected to her ancestry, no doubt. Unless something changes in the near future (this is Russia, trust me, it can happen) 'Rose' has a Russian heritage. Carrington asked me “Why not let her keep her Russian name?” Hmmm, good thought son. I smiled and told him nothing is definite yet. He in turn muttered about how we should keep it Russian. Grumble, grumble, grumble. Blah, blah, blah. (Boy those adolescent hormones are kickin in! LOL) Now remember, this is the same little boy who changed HIS first name by CHOICE. We did not make him do it. I chose not to bring that up to him at that time.

It’s not that I am against her having a Russian name; it is just that I want her to have my name. It’s almost like a right of passage – so to speak. See definition #16: CHOOSE.

So, my thoughts are scattered. In all honesty if I was to complete my dream, I would be naming my child a name I PICKED OUT. – Not someone else.

We have written down these names as possible choices. We have also come to the conclusion that we intend on waiting until we meet her to decide which we feel will fit her best.

Alyvia (pronounced like Olivia – with the A sound instead. John’s not too keen on this one, but I love it!)
Aislynn
Ashling – Not my favorite, but John likes its uniqueness.
Cassidy – A favorite of us both. Strong Irish name
Reagan – Yep, we have decided to keep it in the running. Whether or not it derives from Karrigan is yet to be determined.

We are sill looking…

Decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

smctiver said...

Hi Kym,

CONGRATS on your referral!! We're waiting for our I-171 to adopt older brothers from Uzbekistan (also thru AAC). We're planning to keep their names too, but I like your idea of giving them the choice. We'll see.

Best wishes to you on your travel!

Anonymous said...

Doing a search for my grandfather and came across this page. Bryceton Scott was his name. Interesting that you came up with it on your own.