Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Our day with 'Rose'...



OMG friends and family - we have met our daughter, and what a thrill it was to finally lay eyes on her. ‘Rose’ is beautiful.

I’m telling you there is no mistaking this child, she is definitely a Patterson!

So, here is how the day went:
We were picked up at 1 pm by our driver and taken to the MOE. Traffic was terrible and like the Ukraine you take your life in your hands driving ANYWHERE in this city. There was also another nice family there from Texas to receive their referral. They happen to be going to the same orphanage. We walked in the room after being informed of the questions they may ask us (what is our annual income, who will stay home with the child, etc…) and guess what? They didn’t ask us ANYTHING! They sat us down, read us the referral information, and away we went to meet her. I think we got off easy…

We drove about 20 minutes to orphanage #3 (which, by the way, although it was old, was very neat and colorful, located among a grove of beautiful white birch trees and a park.) We proceeded to the office area and sat down to meet with the Director. They read over her medicals, why she was removed from her family, how long she had been there, and commented that she was baptized (she had a little dress and cross pendant in her file – cute) and then THERE SHE WAS. She was brought to the door holding the hand of her caregiver. Very shy, a little leery, but not looking too overly scared, just unsure. She took a few little steps and I was able to get her easily on to my lap. She kept looking at John – I don’t think they see a lot of men around there.

After they finished reading her file, I told John to take her hand and we walked with her to the play room and sat on the floor with her. I took out the green ball and the monkey I got her that played music was a hit, and she hung on to it most of the time we were there. John had her sit on his leg, and she decided this was going to be her seat. She refused to move from then on…coming back to sit there every time she left to get the ball. I walked over to the toy shelf and took down some stacking cups. I wanted to see how she would do with them. She stacked them back in order, and we even got to see her complete some trouble shooting when they did not match up right. This child is VERY smart!

Oh yeah, and SHE IS POTTY TRAINED…Yahoo! My childcare was just cut in half! LOL

We are so thrilled at this child. She has a great personality, and John engaged her to the point of her giggling and laughing out loud – and I got it all on tape! At one point the other families little girl came crawling over and was pulling up on Johns legs. Rose pointed to the other parents and said something in Russian that we can only assume was “Go over there and stay away from may family” She hugged me tight and was happy to stay that way for a while. I think the team there was a bit surprised at how quickly she took to us. Their faces were a bit shocked when they walked in the room and saw her giggling. At 6 pm they came to take her back to her groupa and she waived goodbye…with monkey and ball in hand. We will see her again first thing tomorrow morning.

I cannot post her face on a public page, as her adoption is not finalized, but here is a sneak peak at ‘Rose’ playing with her daddy…


Playing on the floor with daddy...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kym! It's Jules. Thanks for taking my I 171H in Irene. It sounds like you are truly blessed with a great daughter! I am very happy for you. Congratulations!!!

Nichole said...

I can tell your daughter is beautiful already! I am so happy for you and love reading about your journey. Thanks for sharing.

Thumper said...

WOW... another one that looks more like the family than I do! she seem sweet and i hope you guy are having fun. i emailed dads account to see if you guys got there ok, and havent heard back. hope your doing fine. love Bryce

Tamara said...

YEA!!! I'm so excited for you and that you've been led to your little girl. She sounds like she fits y'all perfectly. I can hardly wait for y'all to get your court date. Perhaps we'll be in Moscow at the same time. Another big YEA!!! Tamara