Monday, May 12, 2008

Were here!

Warm wishes from Moscow. We have arrived!

First…I have been reminded of two things I had forgotten: People are rude and everything smells like an armpit. If you remember from my time in the Ukraine, I wrote about how people do not forms lines, they crowd and shove, men DO NOT open doors for women, and never seem to use deodorant. Um humm. Welcome back to the Soviet Union Kym….Ya know that Coke commercial where they would like to buy the world a Coke and teach it harmony? Well, I’d like to by them deodorant, and teach them to shower. Yuck.

Moving on….

We arrived late in Sunday, after missing our connecting flight in London. A word to the wise for those traveling through Heathrow. It is one of the most disorganized airports I have ever experienced. Give at least 2 hours minimum in between flights because they drive you in and it takes way too long to get you to the gate you need to leave from.

We were met by our driver and taken the Cosmos hotel. It’s I okay for a Russian hotel. The hotel itself was built in the 1980’s for the Olympics and had 1770 rooms. We have had some major hiccups concerning our reservations and we sent the better part of the morning trying to connect with anyone who could help figure it out. When we arrived they stated we only had reservations for two nights instead of four. It took an email to the person who made the reservations and me standing at the travel agents desk and refusing to move to get it taken care of. We now are definitely here for four nights. (Next go round we will contact Peace Travel and rent an apartment.) Our room includes breakfast and WOW! Now that they’ve got a hold on. Good stuff Maynard!
So, what next? John and I braved the Metro and low and behold we managed to get ourselves to Red Square. What and awesome and overwhelming moment to stand in the middle of one of the most well known locations in the world. The buildings are beautiful, and St. Basil’s cathedral is breathtaking with its colors and design. We also visited the tomb of the Unknown Soldier. John took some really good pictures of the Veterans placing flowers the tomb while a flame burns from inside. VERY beautiful gardens and pristine lawns. I mentioned to John as we stood on the center of the red bricked street that I just cannot believe I am here. What a monumental moment in out lives. 25 years ago we in the throws of a cold war with this great nation, now I will be mothering two of its children. Amazing, simply amazing…

Tomorrow we will meet with the MOE (Ministry of Education) and receive our referral.
We have limited internet access, but will post as soon as it is possible.

Till then…

2 comments:

Tamara said...

I'm SO excited for you both! And, you look fabulous in front of St. Basil's. That building just never takes a bad picture does it? I can hardly wait for tomorrow's post. You both are in my prayers that you meet the little girl that is meant to be your daughter and that you travel safely home. What an adventure! Tamara

Tamara said...

YEA! I'm SO excited for you. I apologize if you get two YIPPEE messages from me. My first comment hasn't posted .. odd. Y'all look great in front of St. Basil's. What a magnificent building! I'm praying that you find the little girl that's meant to be your daughter tomorrow. If you need ANYTHING, please let me know. I'm here for you! Tamara