Friday, July 4, 2008

A day on Arbat Street

Okay classs, today we will have a lesson on construction site safety - Russian style:)



Above is an example of an area of work – in progress. Here there is little use for barricades and safety warnings…You just drive you skip loader through the crowds and dump your stuff where ever. Anyone around to get hurt deserves it. How dare they walk down the sidewalk and get in your way any–o-how? I am not an expert in construction, but I'm pretty sure OSHA would have a problem with this in the states...:)






And on the rest rooms (Referred here locally as 'Toilets')Ha! Personal bathrooms are so very under rated. For the equivalent of 25 cents you can have your own private stall on the street. One of the few reasons I will go into a McDonalds. That and iced hazelnut coffee!

So, all in all we had an interesting morning on Arbat Street…with or without skip loaders, bathrooms or the on again off again threat of rain!

We got a late start today, but I have to say it is nice to take your time and not be rushed. We woke to a hungry daughter and a lot of emails. It is super to hear from family and friends. What ever did we do before email? LOL.

As planned we took Kaydee to get her picture done by an artist in black oils.






Although Kaydee was very good, it took all of her ability to sit still long enough to have the artist catch her likeness. The drawing is good, although she appears a bit older…but sweet just the same.

Daddy took off a bit and returned with two red long stemmed roses for his ladies…



I ohhh’d and aaaw’d over mine, Kaydee decided to see if the flower could detach from the stem…beating it half to death. Hmmm, we are gonna have to teach that gal a little something about flower appreciation. Either way, it seemed appropriate for my little ‘Rose’ to be holding a red rose, dont's ya think?






We also went to lunch at My My’s (pronounced moo moo’s) with Joanna and Zoey.






A good place to eat if you want either a quick little something or a big something. Today we had pork, salad and a tortilla, chicken soup for Kaydee and a little roll filled with apple. It was just enough for all three of us to share and the least expensive meal we have had here. 300 rubles! We enjoyed our time with Joanna and wished them a fond bon voyage as their lane leave tomorrow afternoon (lucky them!) As seems tradition we took Kaydee’s picture on the cow out front, she loved it!

For those who have been to Arbat St. recently, you are aware they are resurfacing the foot traffic areas with red brick. (Hence the tractors and skip loaders, half dressed work man and uneven path ways) This work is very labor intensive. We have watched them make a considerable amount of progress, even since the last trip. As I sat there waiting for Kaydee’s picture to be completed, it was starting to drizzle. I was looking at the beautiful buildings and realizing I am half way across the world from my family and friends. I am very much at home in our little apartment in Arbat St. and surprise, surprise I am enjoying my stay. (Although the Body Odor issue still exists – yuck!) Such a huge contrast to my first visit, where I was absolutely miserable. Being locked in your hotel room waiting for a call is not fun! In my comfy little apartment we have international calling, internet, a washer, TV, and would you believe a whirl pool tub and ‘car wash’ shower? There is only room for one person to stand in the bathroom, but oh well!

Kaydee is an absolute angel, with or without understanding English. She is calling out ‘Momma’ and ‘Dadda’…and it is amazing that John and I have once again been given such a terrific child to raise. I said "Kaydee, come here" and she walekd right over to me. She is VERY smart! She is having fun riding on daddy’s shoulders and chasing birds – two of her favorite pastimes. She hates the camera, and it takes a lot of effort to get a good picture of her if she knows you’re pointing one in her general direction.


4 comments:

Nichole said...

That is wonderful that you will be able to come home a few days early. Have a great time reuniting your entire family!!

Tamara said...

She is blossoming with all y'all's attention and love. How wonderful! I'm so glad you're having a great time in Russia. I know our last trip was better because we got to hang with you guys! Take care and enjoy her but do mention that she isn't an only child. I think Mia was surprised to discover this despite my attempts to warn her! Love, hugs and Paka! Tamara

Anonymous said...

Kym,
I got to meet your beautiful daughter in the visiting room of the orphanage as we were waiting on a visit with our daughter! John was getting her ready to leave for good-- YAY! She is a little sweetie. God's blessings to you all!

Jules

Christie M said...

What a darling little girl! Love her name too. :)