Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Dream has come true...And My Rose is a Kaydee!




Dear family and friends…We are happy to introduce to you our daughter
Kaydence MacKenzie Patterson









Otherwise to be known as

‘Princess Kaydee.’

At 2:55 today her visa was issued and as soon as her feet hit US soil she will officially be an American citizen!

For those of you who are wondering, I ended up leaving two days earlier than planned to meet my little princess and be here to sign off on her visa. After making a mad dash to LAX, and boarding to only have my plane sit on the ground for two more hours as we they reloaded all of the cargo underneath (apparently it was loaded on the wrong plane) I had a matter of minutes to rush from my second flight in London. When we hit Moscow the plane had to circle for an hour due to a thunder storm. WOW! What an awesome sight from the air. Thankfully we were above it, but I got to see it from the ground too. The lightning was right over head and the sound was deafening to hear. I figured with all the tall buildings around we were pretty safe down below. When the lightning cracked over head the first time I jumped and made a loud noise just like a girlie ‘girl’ and Max my driver laughed really hard. I watched it for quite a while - Too cool! But I didn’t care about the delays, as long as I got to my final destination – and I did!


Daddy and Kaydee going home....



I arrived to our apartment as John was putting Kaydee down to sleep. He had picked her up from the orphanage at 5:30 and had only been home a short while. He had already given her a bath and she was all fresh in her new nightgown. (I tell ya friends, it is a JOY to finally see her in the clothes we bought for her to wear!) After she hugged me a while she was right back to daddy and off to bed…looking like an Angel!

First thing EARLY (Yawn!) this morning the Dr. came to our apartment and gave Kaydee her physical.

When he first came in he said something to her and she pointed at herself and said ”I Tanya” (her given name) She was very good and did all she was told. The Dr. told us she is in excellent health and must have been very popular at the orphanage as she is very well adjusted, right on task with her size and motor skills, and already has the ability to turn on the crocodile tears to get what she wants. I thought it was funny when he said we may need to invest in a gun to keep away all the boys, and John stated “I already have one, and a back up…so no boys!” LOL...Granchildren honey, someday Grandchildren...:)

The orphanage she was at really does seem to take very good care of the children, and although I am pleased for Kaydee, it saddens me to think of all the others out there in Russia and Ukraine that need so much more due to low funds and supplies. I have seen them, in the REAL Russia, (Outside of Moscow) and there truly is much poverty and neglect that these small angels are forced to survive in. Truly saddening…I will forever remember these children.




The Dr. then left $200 richer for 10 minutes work…(Hmmm, where do I sign up? :) all I see are $$$ signs…MANY $$$ signs *Sigh* But Kaydee is TOTALLY worth it!

We then rushed through an early lunch where I am pleased to announce Kaydee will eat food when put in front of her, and seems to have a BIG appreciation for any type of fruit snacks :)


Not her best picture, but totally funny munchin away...

After which we walked the 25 minutes to the American Embassy and waited for our appointment.

The American Embassy…it’s pretty cool!


Totally a slice of America away from home. At the front we met up with our team rep and she told us where to go and what to do. After we were searched and metal ‘wanded’ at the door, we had to punch the ‘button’ for our number in line and go to the waiting area for adoptees. Of course we had to shell out the $400 (Did you hear that additional $$$ again?) for her visa at window 4a. (Word to the wise, make sure you have new bills and correct cash!) After a while the room was filling up with all these lovely children, many of which were girls. The lack of girls available in Russia is a huge subject and it caught my attention how many were here today. All very darling! We waited about 30 minutes for them to take the ticket at the window, another 30 or so to be called to the window, then the same for them to hand us her visa. All in all very exciting. Oh yeah, and for the others of you who will be processing your little ones, dress in layers ‘cause it was very stuffy and hot in the building.


Waiting outside the Embassy

While we were there we met many other families all trying to wrap up their adoptions. The room was filled with lovely children and their new forever families. I could hardly contain my joy for them all! It is a memory I will never forget! Some were there for the second time, some their first. I met a few from FRUA, and as always it is super great to meet a fellow FRUA’n! Jules, Tamara, and Diane are all wonderful parents I have had the pleasure of praying for and sharing this great experience with. The support is wonderful, and it makes you realize what a small world it really is! For those of you I met today following my blog, it was a sincere pleasure, and may God bless you each and every one!

Once they called our name and gave us Kaydee’s visa, they handed us our documents, said “congratulations” and we were official!

We waited for Jolene and her little one Zoey (another sweet baby from the same orphanage as Kaydee) to finish up and had our driver take us to the Kremlin where we took the official picture with Kaydee and ourselves in front of St. Basils Cathedral. It is so mind numbing to remember we were just there in the 12th of May, the day before we met our little princess, and now she is ours – in record time! She was on her daddy’s shoulders – her favorite place – and smiling.





I never thought this day would come...
I will forever feel warmth in my heart when I see a
picture of St. Basils

We had dinner (yes one of only two out so far…we were CELEBRATING!) at the underground mall by the Kremlin. So, where does a ‘food gun shy’ all American gal eat when in a mall? Sabarro’s of COURSE! A safe little slice of the good US of A just waiting for my taste buds to come a callin! I had cheese pizza and the LARGEST Pepsi WITH ICE I could get me hands on…and it tasted soooo great! Kaydee didn’t care for the pizza though, and I told her that will have to change soon ‘cause the Patterson’s are a pizza lovin family. Since she cannot understand me she just looked at me…and shoved another Ritz cracker in her mouth - LOL - such a moment...

We walked the 20 minutes back home and after a bath, and a warm cup of Pediasure, Kaydee was fast asleep...it was a big day!

And here I sit now…finally having a chance to type away. Tomorrow is the fourth of July. We are going to Arbat St. to have Kaydee's picture done in charcoal by an artist who does terrific work. She has a terrific red, white and blue outfit to wear...An American Princess indeed...

We will search for the right region color of dress for A. Clobes and then take Kaydee to the small playground at our apartment.

If we don’t hear from our travel agent by later tonight it would appear we won’t be coming home any earlier than Tuesday, but one can hope. We are anxious to return…

As I wrap up this blog update, inserting pictures and adding notes, I find myself overcome with tears. Totally tears of joy, but tears just the same. They started off slow, but I soon found myself sobbing as it sank in...we are there! REALLY there! We have a beautiful DAUGHTER. I am confidant that as I write this so many others have experienced the same and will agree it is life altering to bring these little blessings into your heart.

As I gave thought to this whole journey we have traveled, I have seen God's hand in every step. I am not always (okay, NEVER) patient, but God has been patient with me...delivering to me me a beautiful daughter and faithfully answering my prayers. I remember a paraphrase from a favorite poem of mine: A child was grew under another woman's heart, but it in turn grew in mine. I think of her birthmother. Does she ever think of Kaydee? Records say she never came to visit her. Does she know what a gift her child is to us?

My favorite music plays in the background...The Rose - Whose lyrics paint the picture of my heart and the decisions we make in our lives that in turn alter them forever, and a tribute to my daughter. "Remember Me'...A ballot that makes my heart hurt for all the lost children of God, both young and old, and that fact that through His same heart they are truly not forgotten.

I have waited so very long for this day, and am so relived it is finally done. In the last 6 weeks I have met my daughter that looks so much like a blend of John and I that I have no wonder what a biological child may have looked like. I have met and played with adorable children left behind in a place where a system tries their best to give them a family, but bureaucracy and $$$ keeps many who would give them a home away. These children walked up to me and took my hand, wanting nothing but a smile and some attention that tells them they are cherished. I picked up those children and told John that if nothing else they would remember a nice lady who smiled at them and played with them. I have met wonderful and caring people who opened their hearts and homes to give a child a chance at living...not just surviving. I have defended my choice in adopting from Russia to many who do not understand; "We have so many children in the US who need homes" they say. True, but the US gives those children something these will never recieve: hope and opportunity. I have prayed, and my heart is right with our decision. So all I can say is:

Thank you God! You are so great!


A VERY GREATFUL Queen Bee!

9 comments:

www.russiansweetbaby.blogspot.com said...

Wonderful!!! Congratulations!!!
I think I'm w/ your sister agency. The kids coming home are so beautiful, Kadence included!

Holly

Nichole said...

Your post was so awesome!! Your daughter is absolutely beautiful. I love her name, but I am partial to K names, I have a Kiara. I am so happy for your family. I can't wait to find out what it feels like to be where you are at in the adoption journey. In His timing, not mine. Have a wonderful 4th of July!

The Clobes Crew said...

Kym...she is amazing. Congratulations! We can't wait to meet her.

Thanks for picking up the dress for "A." We can't wait to put it on her.

Tom

Anonymous said...

Hello my friends. I cannot wait to see her and introduce her to my grandbabies, what stories we will have to tell. See you soon. Much Love, Deb

Tamara said...

OOh .. I am SO excited for you guys! I hope you can change your tickets and bring that little princess home soon to meet her awesome big brothers. Who would've thought that we would meet on the internet, journey together to find our daughters, search for good bargains in Moscow and discover that we are both Scouts (well .. maybe more John and your sons but hey .. Scouts none the less!). The world is indeed a very small place!

Have a fabulous and safe journey home. Love, hugs and Paka, Tamara

P.S. Benadryl is your friend :)

JB said...

Kym,

Congrats ... and of course YEAH GOD! Slava Bog!

Jolene

Michelle said...

Congratulations, Kym!

Your daughter is beautiful!!!

Shane & Marie said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful!

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Congrats to your entire family. What a beautiful little angel!

Jennifer
(goingtoua from frua)