Sunday, August 24, 2008

I am back to work full-time and that means Kaydee is now in Preschool…

*SIGH*

Kaydee started full time preschool on the 18th. How sad I was to leave my little Princess for the entire day, but it had to happen. I feel comfortable with her attachment to us, and the gals there are very sweet, so it seems the right place for her.

Kaydee in front of her class calender board on her first full day of Preshool -
nervous and working that thumb!
John and I had ‘eased’ Kaydee into this transition with a few days here and there at two or more hours or so each time. The first day we just visited. The second we visited again but I left the play area for about 15 minutes and observed Kaydee from behind a window. The third day she stayed for two hours and I picked her up, the fourth the same, but Daddy got her. By Monday we felt she was as ready as she would ever be. The first day was okay, no tears. The second full day though was met with a few more challenges. It’s actually kind of funny the way she goes about making her feelings known, yet still following direction with out arguments. Here is how Kaydee’s drive to preschool progresses…it’s really kinda cute:

First we put in her shoes…’whimper’



Then we put her lunch in her back pack…’whimper’
Then we leave the house…’whimper’ and a VERY slow walk to the car



Kaydee and her backpack slowly making her way to the car...

Open the car door, and a long ‘whimper’, but she gets up in the car any way
We then start driving to school. “Hummm. Hummm.” Those who know Kaydee personally know this is an old habit still lingering of her saying ‘No.’
When I make the left turn to the front street, and then the drive way of her school, I get more “Hummm’s”

Then I say, ”Okay…We are at Kaydee’s school! You like Kaydee’s school!” I take her out of the car, and as I carry her I tell her “Open the gate Kaydee.” She reaches up for the high knob and turns it, opening the metal gate. All the while still saying “Hummm”.

When we go through the doorway, I set her down to sign her in. Again with “Hummm”, Just a bit louder now…

Putting away her backpack


She then takes my hand as we walk to her class and she e-v-e-r so s-l-o-w-l-y puts her back-pack in her cubby, still whimpering and alternately saying “Hummm.”

Then we walk to the back door where the early children are playing. She starts to cry. Not full fledged, but with enough tears to let me know she means business. I makes my tummy hurt to hear her cry, but it is a little cry, not a big ‘temper tantrum cry.’

She tightens her arms around my neck, and hugs me close. I tell her it is all right and Ms. Jennifer will play with her and Daddy will be there soon. Another “Whimper and Hummm.”

She then reluctantly goes to Ms. Jennifer and cries. Once again making my heart hurt. I wave good bye and say “Donstinvonia” (my spelling…”Good bye” in Russian) And I leave the play ground area . I watch her from behind the two way door and she is fine…working the crowd of teachers who just love her to pieces. By the time I am out the door to go to my car I hear no more tears.

Upon a check in call, I can hear her laughing in the background, and Ms. Jennifer says she only cried for a little while and has been playing happily ever since. She was the line leader and Ms. Jennifer’s helper. Much to my surprise she does settle down and take a nap. This we did not expect her to do as she hates to sleep. But given her past experience with lots of little beds and other children napping, I think it is in her normal order of things, so she does it. Not without a little bit of protest before hand, I’ve been told.

When Daddy shows up at the gate there is a happy little girl playing, and she screams (Really, she screams! ) “DADDA!” and is gathered up and taken home to her castle in the country.

When I drive up she sees my car, yells “Mamma!” and we play our little chase and tickle game as soon as I walk in the door. All is well with her world now, and we look at her school work – praising her and telling her “Headashawl!” – (My spelling again - “Very Good!”)

Then we start all over again the next day…sigh…I pray she adjusts quickly to the routine of Preschool and actually enjoys her morning routine to her day to play.

In other areas Kaydee is doing so very well. It is hard to believe she has only been here for almost 7 weeks. She repeats words, dances, sways and sings to Veggie Tales.

Kaydee and her favorite baby Nanny gave her...

She loves her doll baby and makes sure it is on a pillow with the blankie Nana made her. She snuggles with us, still loves to be held, and adores her bigger brothers.

After her bath Kaydee likes the blanket her Nanny made her.

Night time still continues to be a struggle. She cries and kicks and wails at all hours. She always looks like she is trying to kick something off of her legs. It is a real tear jerker to watch our otherwise happy Princess go through what ever it is that is affecting her. We have tried everything we can think of but mainly just making sure nothing is touching her and waiting it out seems to be the only thing that works.

Attachment is so very important with a PI child. Both John and I feel Kaydee is doing very well in that area. She immediately stops and/or comes back when we call her name, even in a crowd. She takes a whole long while to leave our arms or side even with a close friend or family member. And looks for us all the time. Of course the fact that she would rather be with us than daycare is a good thing too. I stay with her in bible class, and although she doesn’t seem to mind another child sitting on my lap, just try and have Daddy do that. “No way, Jose!”

There are so many times during the day when I wish I had my camera ready to catch her fun and special moments forever in time. Like yesterday when she was perched up on the ladder to the pool. Carrington was making water shoot out of his mouth like a fountain, and Kaydee would take her finger and poke his cheek to do so. Then, as their game progressed she started turning Carrington’s head in the direction she wanted the water to shoot. Soon after Carrington decided to turn his head so it shot at her. That girl laughed so hard! It was such fun to sit back and watch the interaction between the two of them.

And then last night she was playing with her two cousins and all three of them were holding hands and turning in a circle. The oldest cousin was singing ‘Ring around the Rosies” and although Kaydee had no idea what it was she was doing, she was having a good old time doing it! After a little successful female bonding she finally decided to share her baby dolls with her cousins. Too cute!


Here is Kaydee dressed as a knight where she sword fought with Carrington and Aidan...

I tell myself to remember these times forever. I have missed out on almost three years of my precious Princess’s life and I feel I have so many emotional holes to fill. Tonight before bed she sat in the rocker in her room, and motioned to me to sit with her. I picked her up and sat with her on my lap. As she held her newest bear friend, we read aloud one of her pop-up books with sounds. Carrington sat next to the chair and as we said the words of the pictures in English, he repeated them in Russian. She laughed in glee each time the noises happened. The three of us had the most wonderful time doing this.

Another moment to remember forever…Thank you God!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed your blog. Two years ago we adopted a five year old boy from Russia and your blog brought back good memories. Best wishes.

The Clobes Crew said...

Kym...we're glad everything is going so well. She will adjust to preschool soon and will love it.

Abbey had a lot of adjustment to bedtime too. We never figured out what the problem was; it was only bedtime for us though, naps were never a problem. That actually made it harder to figure out for us. Why was bedtime so bad from her perspective, but not a nap? Nothing would console her...us sleeping with her, her sleeping with us, nothing. We just had to wait for her to grow accostomed to it.

JB said...

Kym and John,

Too cute! God put all the right people together in your family in the right time. To quote George Pepoard's Col. Hannibal Smith character from the A-Team -- "I love it when a plan comes together." Imagine the power it takes to make it all happen!

Jolene

Anonymous said...

I just saw on FRUa that you have adopted again! Congratulations!!

I am Roma's mom. He was in Carrington's orphanage (and group) in Sakhnovschina. We came home from Ukraine in December '07. He is doing wonderfully and we are so thankful to God for his blessings on our family!

Linda Brown

Again, congratulations. She seems like such a joy!